You are here: About → Welfare

Welfare of the Keble College MCR

Welfare support

Within College

Should problems arise that cannot be solved by talking with friends, help can be obtained from a range of people both inside and outside College, in addition to the Junior Deans. Whatever the problem - personal, emotional, health, financial or work-related - you are encouraged to approach any of the following people who will see you in confidence, listen and try to help.

  1. Welfare Officers

    Welfare Officers will listen in confidence to any problem you may be suffering, academic or non-academic, and will try to help. Regardless of your gender, you are free to contact either the Male or Female Welfare Officers.

  2. Chaplain

  3. SCR Welfare and Disability Officer

  4. Harassment Advisors

  5. College Nurse

  6. Peer Supporters

    Peer Supporters are MCR and JCR students trained to help students get the support and assistance they need in difficult times. They adhere to a code of confidentiality and are able to provide a listening ear and a helping hand to students undergoing difficulties - whatever the concern. Posters of the Peer Supporters are located around college, and they also organize drop-in sessions once a week in Keble College for students to simply talk about things that are bothering them. Students are encouraged to speak with Peer Supporters about any concerns they may have, either through the drop-in sessions or less formally, in-and-around college.

Outside College

  1. University Counselling Service

    The University has a professionally staffed confidential Student Counselling Service for assistance with personal, emotional, social and academic problems. The Service is available free to all matriculated undergraduate and graduate members of the University.

    The service is available throughout the year except over the Christmas and Easter period from 9.15am-5.15pm. Appointments are essential, and can be made:

    1. by phone (01865) 270300
    2. email
    3. or dropping in to
      11 Wellington Square,
  2. The OUSU Student Advice Service

    Provides a space for students to discuss their worries in confidence and offers practical advice on a range of issues which students might encounter. The Service consists of the OUSU Vice President (Welfare) the Vice- President (Graduates) the Vice-President (Women), the Vice President (Access and Academic Affairs) and the Student Advisor. The service runs during office hours at the OUSU centre, Thomas Hull House, Bonn Square, Oxford. You can either drop in or make an appointment (tel. (01865) 280440). Also, their welfare website provides information ranging from accommodation to domestic abuse: here

  3. Nightline

    Nightline is a confidential listening and information service run by students and operates during term time from 8pm to 8am. Reverse call charges are accepted, alternatively, you can pop in for a coffee and chat.

    16 Wellington Square, Oxford (Tel: (01865) 270270

  4. Samaritans

    A volunteer service that provides impartial and sympathetic support to those who are struggling emotionally. There are four ways of getting in contact:

    1. by phone, either (01865) 722122, or the national number 08457 909090.
    2. by email,
    3. writing a letter to the following address:
      P.O. Box 90 90
      FK8 2SA
    4. or by dropping in between 8am-10pm to 60 Magdalen Road, Oxford

Sexual Welfare

Useful Contacts

GUM (Genitourinary Medicine) clinic Oxford

Information and advice on sexual health. Testing and treatment of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) including HIV/AIDS, and emergency contraception, pregnancy testing. Can also provide information and prescribe the following forms of contraception:

  • Emergency contraception
  • Oral contraceptive pill
  • Contraceptive patch
  • Contraceptive injection


    Churchill Hospital
    Old Road
    OX3 7LJ

    Tel: 01865 231231

    Appointments available from 9.30am-12.15, drop in clinic runs from 12.15-15.15 Mon-Fri

    Contraceptive and Sexual Health (CASH) clinic

    For coils, the implant and other methods, we suggest you visit your nearest Contraceptive and Sexual Health (CASH) clinic or GP. CASH clinics provide

  • Hormonal and non-hormonal forms of contraception
  • Emergency hormonal contraception (EHC)
  • Pregnancy tests
  • Help and advice about unplanned pregnancy
  • Referral for termination of pregnancy
  • Help and advice about sexual problems
  • Cervical smear tests

  • Local CASH clinic:
    Alec Turnbull Centre
    Raglan House
    Between Towns Road
    Cowley OX4 3JH

    Tel: 01865 456 666

    Open Mon-Thur 9.30-7pm, Fri 9.30-4.00, Sat 10.30-1.30pm
    Appointments not taken for first consultation but rather work on a drop-in service. Appointments for any follow-up consultations will be made at the clinic.

    Emergency contraception

    Available at charge: here
    (usual price £20-£25 for one dose)

    Available for free on prescription:
  • From the GUM/CASH clinic
  • From your registered surgery
  • If out of hours (weekends, bank holidays, or weekdays outside 6.30am-8am) call 0845 345 8995 for an out-of-hours doctor.
  • Condoms

    Condoms are supplied free of charge in the MCR toilet. Help yourself from the small wooden box on the windowsill. Currently, we supply latex condoms, non-latex condoms, extra large, extra strong, and dotted. We also supply lubrication.

    Pregnancy tests are supplied by pidge. This service is CONFIDENTIAL and DISCREET. To get a pregnancy test, either pidge the female welfare officers a note (name not required) requesting a pregnancy test, or send them an email. If a name is not provided, a pregnancy test will be placed in a plain paper bag in the welfare officer's pidge, if a name is provided, in the person's pidge.